Monday 17 October 2011

One Year of Running




It's been a year since I first started running. Time passed by very quickly. I remember, in the past, when my friends ask me to go for runs, I would reject them or find all sorts of excuses.

So, what makes me start running?


During my Uni days, I went to my project group mate house (Vincent). We were doing our final year project. I looked around his room and saw the Standard Chartered Marathon medal. Is a love at first sight with the medal. So, i questioned on his run and he said very bad. Then he encouraged me to run too.


From then, I tried to run but it's not easy. I can't even finish 500m. I did not put in any effort to train too. Slowly I gave up on running. My stamina is very bad.


After a few months, my colleagues organized a cycling event. The distance was from Changi to Changi. I thought it was a short distance but actually it is Changi -> Pasir Ris -> Tampines -> East Coast and back to Changi. I was struggling at that time. Basically it's like dragging my body to the finishing end. After that event, I had a bad fever for many days. I felt so weak and useless.





This is bad, really bad. I gotta do something. So, i googled for running forums for some training tips and I found SGRunners. It is a local forum where many runners exchange their training tips and experiences.


I saw the registration for New Balance Real Run 2010. Without any hesitation, I signed up for the run and bought myself a pair of decent running shoes. It was the New Balance 759 model. I started training with walk-run method. Slowly, I'm able to run my first KM without walking and so on.


New Balance Real Run 2010 which held on 17 Oct 2010 was my first official run. My result was not bad for a first timer but I'm not happy with it. During the run, I am not able to focus because the weather was too hot and since it was my first running event, my pace was being distracted by other runners. After all, it was a good experience and from then on I'm addicted to run.





I diligently train almost 2-3 days a week and every Sunday will be my LSD training. I love to run from my house to East Coast Park. It's not about the timing or distance but it is about the feeling and enjoying the sceneries. My friends says I'm crazy. Some said they will get bored running a long distance.





I joined many of races, be it competitive, fun run and even a vertical marathon. Not only that, I have covered any distances, from 10km to 42km. I keep my bib numbers in a folder. Next time I shall frame all of it and hang it on my wall. My mini achievements. Some numbers did bring me good luck too, in terms of 4D lottery - $20 winning only. HAHA!





Disposable timing chips from races.





My medals.
This is something that I feel proud of. It's not about which position or prize but it's my achievements. An achievement that I have to do it with my own hard work and endurance. My sweaty, salty, tedious, painful yet indescrible achievements. Every medal has a story behind it. Besides, running helps to improve my health too.





All of my event or finisher tees. Some material quality is good some, bad. Bad ones end up as my PJ. I do wear my finisher tee out for shopping too. It's not something that you can buy easily from the shop and most importantly, it's cooling.





My longest distance was 42km, which was the Sundown Marathon. It was my most anticipated race and also my worst nightmare. On the race day, after 22 km my body cannot take it. I feel giddy and weak. I saw some runners lying down and raised their legs to the sky. Without any thinking, I did the same thing and feel slightly better. I tried to run but my legs begged me to stop.


Halfway through the race, i stopped running and walked all the way to the ending point. It was 4am and I felt extremely sleepy. I did not give up and push myself to the ending point. My timing was very bad - 8 hours. Still within the cut off time. I had groin chaffing, foot blisters and cramps all the way to the finisher line.


I feel like crying the moment i got my medal and finisher tee.

I constantly questioned myself, why? WHY? WHY?! 
why am I doing this to make myself suffer?

With all these experiences, I did not stop but actually felt even happier =) in my life. It makes me feel stronger. As long as you put in your effort, the best things will always be waiting for you at the finishing point.





So, after a year of running, I learnt and still learning a lot of things. Its not only about running gears, gadgets or training tips but it's something that is very useful during our daily life. I met many friends and heard about their experiences. With all these shoes, I hope I can go even further and run another marathon or even an ultra marathon.